Hyaluronic Acid is a natural substance found in connective tissue and in the synovial fluid of joints. It is a component of glycosamininoglycans GAGs, a mucopolysaccharide. You may be familiar with GAGs if you take glucosamine condroitin plus GAG supplements for your joints. It is most abundant in connective tissue in the dermis of skin.
- A healthy connective tissue gives the skin its firmness, suppleness and turgor; as skin ages GAGs decrease.
- As a humectant, it has an excellent water binding capability (1,000 times its own weight), hydrating and helping the skin retain moisture. When skin is well hydrated, wrinkles are reduced and become less prominent.
- It also contributes to the elasticity or suppleness of the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid enables manufacturers to use fewer emollients and lubricants therefore producing a product that is greaseless, easy to absorb and non comedogenic (does not create blackheads).
- It has excellent healing properties as well as an antioxidant property, so protects the skin from the aging effects of sun exposure and other oxidative stress.
In my opinion, it should either be used as a standalone product, along with your daily moisturizer, or be one of the first 3 ingredients in that moisturizer. If it is at the bottom of the ingredient list it is not going to be as efficient.
In the clinic:
I have been using Hylauronic Acid for almost to 2 decades in every skin treatment that I perform for the hydrating and healing benefits. In the last seven years, I have been using it as an add on treatment with Ultrasound to make it penetrate further into the dermis.
Two products with Hyaluronic Acid that I carry in my clinic are:
- IMAGE – Ageless Pure Hyaluronic Filler is used daily as an adjunct to daily moisturizers. One drop is all you need for the face, neck and décolleté.
- OSMOSIS – Quench plus is a moisturizer that contains both Hyaluronic acid and GAGs. A beautiful moisturizer, that hydrates and evens the skin tone. It has a very delicate scent of white grapefruit and bergamot.
If you want to learn more about this ingredient come in for a treatment!