Manual Lymphatic Drainage or MLD
What is MLD?
- MLD is a massage technique which uses a gentle pumping action.
- It is also known as “The Vodder technique”
- MLD is the most relaxing massage you will ever have because of its direct effects on the nerve cells.
What does it do?
- MLD activates the lymphatic system.
What is the Lymphatic system?
- The lymph system is a major component of the body’s immune system.
- It is a network of organs (spleen, thymus, tonsils and adenoids) and lymph nodes (small bean shaped nodules), ducts, and vessels that transports lymph from tissues to the bloodstream.
- The nodes are where immune cells such as lymphocytes, monocytes and plasma cells are produced.
- When bacteria are recognized in the lymph fluid, the lymph nodes enlarge, producing additional white blood cells to help fight infection.
- When people refer to swollen glands in the neck, they are usually referring to swollen lymph nodes.
- Lymph nodes also filter the lymph fluid removing foreign material such as bacteria, proteins, fats, toxins, pollutants and cancer cells.
- Common areas where lymph nodes can be easily felt, especially if they are enlarged, are: the groin, armpits (axilla), above the clavicle (supraclavicular), in the neck (cervical), and the back of the head just above hairline (occipital).
What is Lymph?
Lymph is a clear white fluid made of:
- Chyle (intestinal fluid, created by digestion, that contains proteins and fat.This is why the choice of fats we ingest is very important.)
- White blood cells, especially lymphocytes (lymphocytes are the cells that attack bacteria)
Why is MLD Beneficial?
When MLD is performed regularly, it:
- Helps to maintain a healthy environment for the cells of the connective tissue to produce elastin and collagen and enables the tissue to repair and heal itself.
- Removes oedema (swelling)
Who would benefit?
- Injury or surgery – speeds recovery time and enables the individual to regain full range of joint motion much quicker.
- Skin conditions – acne, rosacea, eczema. Psoriasis
- Arthritis, rheumatism, migraines, intestinal disorders, constipation, sinusitis.
- Ideal treatment during detox and cleanses.
- Ideal treatment if having a laser fat reduction.
- Ideal treatment for candidiasis.
How often are treatments recommended?
- For injury or post surgery – 1 to 2 times a week.
- Other conditions – once week until the condition is under control.
- For basic good health – once a month.
How much will it cost?
- 30 minute treatment = $65
- 60 minute treatment = $100
- Packages available for a group of sessions.
For more information and questions regarding this treatment please feel free to contact me!