January is a time for renewal.
After having gone through the hectic year-end period, it is good to take time to reflect on our well-being – be it physical or spiritual.
Waiting for the days to get longer, minute by minute, gives us a great opportunity for self-care and self-reflection.
The best approach for this is, in my opinion, through Ayurveda.
When I first learned about Ayurveda, at the Institute of Holistic Nutrition, it resonated with me immediately because it married beauty and health so seamlessly.
I have since incorporated Ayurvedic concepts into all of the treatments I offer, whether I am choosing types of body work to recommend or the herbs, spices or oils I use in my personalized treatments.
This is Ayurveda in a nutshell:
Ayurveda means “science of life”. It is an ancient healing system, dating back thousands of years, based on the concept that, to be healthy, one must be in balance physically, mentally and spiritually.
An Ayurvedic practitioner/doctor determines an individual’s “Dosha” constitution and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Govern physical and mental Function.
- Effect our personality, temperament and intellectual capacity.
- Are active in everyone; our Uniqueness lies in the balance of doshas we are born with
The Balance is achieved by:
- Lowering the intake of what we have in excess.
- Increasing the intake of what we don’t have.
When the Doshas are balanced we are healthier and happier.
Ayurvedic recommendations encompass:
- Nutrition – using appropriate herbs and spices and food preparation techniques.
- Exercise – using those yoga positions which are best for you
- Body care – having massage and skin treatments that suit you.
So that is where I come in!
I am offering an Ayurvadic Marma Facial for the month of January and to mid-February.
Marma points are where the physical and spiritual worlds meet. Massaging them stimulates (even though it is a very gentle manipulation) the organs and body systems that they correspond to.
This treatment is the ultimate in relaxation.
You get the full, customized facial including a hand and foot massage.
With meditative music playing throughout, the treatment starts with a warming foot bath and ends with a mask – rejuvenating your soul as well as your body, by giving you time for meditation and reflection.